because half naked sounds silly
i really was tempted to name them so because:
1) they live up to the name for sound and clarity (non revealing), with very good imaging.
2) they are bare basic, no expensive finished, just bang for the buck plain speaker
3) recycled parts where i could without sacrificing too much sound:
– multiplex wood at wood workshop’s bin (asked them nicely 🙂 )
– custom fullrange (based on TB W3-315SE with different mount?) from builders radio
i originally used these speakers in a floorstanding concept (2.5khz xover, 6db/oct), but me being unexperienced back in the day it had alignment issues (woofer/fullrange 40cm away in the enclosure) which made it sound compressed.
luckily i had the recycled wood bookshelf enclosures laying around with a recycled jvc woofer and visaton FRS8-4 per speaker crossed at 2.6KHZ, on 12DB removed link
i simply decided to swap speakers, turned out to be almost perfect, attenuated the high notes by a 3.3R resistor before the highpass xover. was still not there yet, so i went on and began fiddling with the tone controls on my cladd D 8w rms amplifier (with vu meters 😀 )*
woofers: Dayton DA175-8
costs: 180€ (around 200USD) incl the amplifier
<a title=”left speaker” href=” removed link ” target=”true”>image: left speaker (dropbox)
* = amp: scythe kama bay amp 2100