Home Forums DIY Amplifiers and Electronics Interest in a group buy for IcePower 400A2 units

• Interest in a group buy for IcePower 400A2 units

Elliott updated 1 week ago 1 Member · 21 Posts
  • ajc9988

December 28, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I’m trying to collect a number that are interested in an amplifier unit group buy.

How will this group buy work? I will buy a carton of IcePower 400A2 units, along with the wiring that Icepower sells with it. That is 20 units. After they come in, I will contact you to then pay me for cost plus shipping from Colorado (so please primarily people in the US as international shipping and import costs, etc. is a pain to figure out; and you may have cheaper options from shops within the EU if in Europe, etc.).

So, I am footing the initial costs (around $2K). As such, I need firm commitments. This would be purchased in the next couple weeks, then it ships from Hong Kong or Taiwan (forgot which IcePower said on their website). That means they would arrive sometime in late January or early February and I would ship within a day or two of payment to me.

Think of this like ordering cookies, books, magazines, etc. You pay when they come in, but you need to plan on having the money by then.

With that explained, who is interested?

Note – you need a power supply with a referenced drive voltage. Main ones that can do this easily is the Hypex, Connex Electronic, or the IcePower (this is the most expensive, and even buying a case brings the 1500W version down to only $270 for 8 of them).

If integrating into a speaker, the Hypex 800W power supply may be a good choice (around $130). I haven’t checked the features of the Connex lower wattage options, only the 2000W and above, so please review documents before you select your power supply.

If you have further questions, reach out.

Edit: BTW, I am keeping at least 8 of these for myself for my projects (hence at $165 per outside of ordering a carton, it makes more sense to buy a carton). So there are 12 units for grabs here. I just need to see if I can make it viable by recovering the extra spent on a carton relatively quickly.

• 123Toid

Administrator
    December 29, 2021 at 6:28 am

I’ll tell you if I did not already have a million builds going on right now, I would be interested in the group buy. But right now, I can’t commit to it. However, I can and will share this on my channel in a few days.  See if we can get some people interested. 

• ajc9988

December 29, 2021 at 2:34 pm

@123toid – Cool. Because if I can get around 6 to 7 accounted for before I do the buy, if I then have to use the other 4-5 in my own projects, I won’t be heart broken.

I basically want to use two of these per speaker for four speakers being built (so I am for sure keeping 8 and 12 are up for grabs). Eight at the regular price of $165 comes to $1320. The wiring kits are $9 a piece, so that would be an extra $72.

So, if I can get commitments to get the price down to that (like 7 units and 7 wiring kit or if people tell me they don’t want the kit, I can just grab fewer of those), then I will be no worse than if I just bought them for the higher price (better, because then I would have an extra 5 or 6 units around to put in future projects).

• ajc9988

December 29, 2021 at 4:31 pm

BTW, for those wondering how you get the referenced drive voltage, Hypex’s manual for the SMPS1200Axx series gives an idea.

So, when looking at the Connex power supplies, please reference this to understand a bit more on the drive voltage for wiring.

Edit:

And the Connex power supplies for the 800W now reads as the following (https://connexelectronic.com/product/smps800rs/ for single ended operation mode):
    Enhanced version of the previous SMPS800R with dual independent and isolated auxiliary regulated voltages, which can take any of the following values: 5V, 12V or 15V both the same values or different values, and can be tied either to Power GND or on the negative output usually used for class D amplifiers as Drive Stage supply voltage. For example for TA3020v3k Class T audio amplifier, one of the aux. outputs can be configured for 12V with negative output connected to V- to supply the bias votlage (sic) for power stage and the other one can be configured for 5V to supply the input stage of the amplifier. Another usage is as a four rail supply for high performance class AB amplifiers where the driver stage requires a 5-15V higher voltage than the power stage at a significantly lower current, to be able to optimally drive the power transistors for best performances.

Edit 2:

To discuss the amplifier with the power requirements, something I wrote elsewhere:

What does this mean?
    It means you will HAVE TO supply the voltage of 45-75V DC to the P1 plug, along with a connection to earth/ground (negative is not ground).

Then, you have to CHOOSE between providing EITHER a 5V (4.5-5.5V DC) OR a 12V (7-17V DC) connection to the board. As the manual states in multiple places DO NOT USE BOTH.

Finally, you need Vdrive: a 12-17V POSITIVE current supply.

I hope that gives more information to those hesitant to get their feet wet.

Interest in a group buy for IcePower 400A2 units

• Elliott

January 6, 2022 at 3:57 pm

I’d have loved to have gotten involved. I live in England though, so unfortunately I can’t, sorry 😞

Good luck though!

• ajc9988

January 9, 2022 at 2:40 pm

@SB-Woo – are you still interested in picking up 2 of these units?

• SB-Woo

January 9, 2022 at 5:01 pm

@ajc9988 

Yes, but I am a little confused on the specifics.

PE no longer has them listed from what I see, and from what im reading on here, you’re not getting the ones with the built in power supplies. 

I’m thinking these are basically 2×200w@8ohm, 2×400w@4ohm, 1×800w@8ohm and they are not the ones with built in supply.

They will cost around $100/unit and a good power supply will be around $130 for each. 

Plus these amps require balanced input but there are ways around this.

Let me know if i have some of this info wrong.

• SB-Woo

January 9, 2022 at 6:58 pm

• ajc9988

January 9, 2022 at 7:34 pm

@sb-woo – Sorry, I forgot to hit send on the response I had to you earlier. The difference is the IMD and THD+N, which is WAY improved.

Here are the links to the ones at parts-express you were looking at:

https://www.parts-express.com/ICEpower-200ASC-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-with-Power-Supply-Module-1-x-200W-326-208

https://www.parts-express.com/ICEpower-200AC-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-Module-1-x-200W-326-210

So, for two channels, you would literally have to pay $200. For the 400A2, you would be paying $100, then the $130 for the power supply. So, then comes the question on whether or not the $30 is worth it for a higher wattage and for lower distortion. I cannot answer that question for you. Here is the charts for distortion from those two links.

Icepower 200ASC

Icepower 200AC

Icepower 400A2

Compare them for yourself.

• SB-Woo

January 9, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I’ll take 2. Thanx for all the great information. My understanding is that will be around $200.

• ajc9988

January 9, 2022 at 9:34 pm

@sb-woo – Correct, $200 + shipping.

• SB-Woo

January 9, 2022 at 9:52 pm

@ajc9988 

Payment due in 2-3 weeks or so?

• ajc9988

January 9, 2022 at 9:56 pm

@sb-woo – about that. I should be ordering them tomorrow or so, so once it arrives, I will DM to get addresses of participants, then look up approximate shipping costs from different vendors (USPS, FedEx, and UPS), and then will ask for payment, at which time I will ship the good. I use primarily Zelle, but can figure out payment through paypal, etc.

• SB-Woo

January 9, 2022 at 10:01 pm

@ajc9988 

Sounds good👍 

• ajc9988

January 10, 2022 at 2:59 am

@sb-woo – Just looked at their stock and they currently do not have a carton’s worth of the 400A2. They do have a carton of the 300A2. Those are $92.60 each. I shot an email to the director of sales and marketing to ask when they would have more supply. If not for awhile, would you still be interested in the 300A2? I can post the specs if you are interested.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 21 replies

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now