Home Forums Home Theater Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

• Creator
    Discussion

123toid
    Keymaster

Today I was able to pick up a JVC dila with only $150 original hours on it. Crazy thing is the guy threw in an extra lamp as well. In the lamp is an original JVC lamp in the original box unopened. He sold me everything for $400. He ended up selling his house and doesn’t have the media room anymore so he had no need for it. This thing is an absolute monster and such a beautiful picture. So it looks like I’m going to have to start building a screen. In the meantime, what do you guys think is the best way to mount this. I was originally thinking of mounting it from the ceiling with a ceiling mount. But the more I think about it the more I’m starting to wonder if I should build a drop-down cabinet from the ceiling that it resides in. Of course this would be open airflow on the sides and the back in front. Anyway I’m definitely interested to hear your ideas.

As for now I’ll show you some pictures as well as a comparison versus an old Epson projector. This thing is a monster!

Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

• Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

123toid updated 3 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 23 Replies
  • chedwin

March 3, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Typically with this type of projector I prefer to suspend them in some sort of rigging cage (see below) this alows solid attachment to the building whilst giving very delicate adjustment of each axis of movement for very precise aligment. However this is propably cost prohibitive to do in a DIY home theatre

As an alternative I would suggest making a platform for it to sit on out of wood and hang the platform with 4 lengths of threaded rod and appropriate hanger fixings. (example also attached below) This keeps all sides fully open and you can still use the built in feet for small aligment adjustments.

Ceiling mounts are never a great way to mount a projector in my experience. Whilst they are easy to put up they are nearly always a nightmare to align precisely. They are fine for schools and offices but I’d avoid them in HT

Josh Evans, Professional Live Sound Engineer, High End Commercial AV Install Technician
  • 123toid

Administrator
    March 3, 2022 at 6:30 pm

@Chedwin, I really like that idea. I was originally going to just make it from 2×4’s. But I definitely can see the appeal of the threaded rods for making those precise adjustments. What size rods do you think would be needed?

• tvor-ceasar

March 3, 2022 at 7:28 pm

What’s the weight, + platform? My guess is 3/8″ all thread would be overkill, but probably easiest to work with. This is going in the media room over the garage, right? No chance of jumping kids above to rattle it around, just the ISO100 and the 15.

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 3, 2022 at 7:31 pm

It’sIt’s about 40lbs. I’m thinking tonight I have enough 2x4s that I’m going to go ahead and build a temporary platform to kind of see how it holds up. I’m going to connect it directly to the framing. Then when I figure out exactly where to place it then I’ll probably figure out a more permanent solution. I really like the idea of those threaded rods. My only concern would be how it would move with the vibrations in the room. And with the nuts try to back out. Obviously I would get locking nuts. I really like that look though.

• chedwin

March 3, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I use a combination of standard nut and serated face nyloc. Use the standard nut to set the height then torque the nyloc up to it as tight as you can. The serated face adds additional friction which combined with the nylon locking ring prevents any movement. This combination of standard and nyloc tightened against each other is pretty much unmoveable, even in bass heavy nightclubs it doesnt back out!

For rod size I normally use M10 which i believe is around 3/8″

Josh Evans, Professional Live Sound Engineer, High End Commercial AV Install Technician
  • tvor-ceasar

March 3, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, 3/8 plus decent fender washers and lock washers top and bottom should be able to hold several hundred lbs. If it were me in your situation, I’d run 2x4s on top of the rafters, well secured with the mounting holes for the rods drilled though them nuts/washers, maybe even drill a hole through the end for a cotter pin for insurance.

• chedwin

March 3, 2022 at 8:13 pm

If your laying 2×4 across rafters then mounting threaded rod into those it should look like this. Same under the platform but inverted obviously 😆

If you want you can swap the washer for a t nut the on the top mount to help prevent the rod rotating when adjusting the lower mount

CLARIFICATION EDIT: You would do as per the diagram either side of the batten. T nut on the top side, standard washer on the under side. On the projector platform you only need to this under the platform as the weight is pulling down. Each threaded rod has 3 groups of hardware

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  chedwin.
  • chedwin

March 3, 2022 at 8:51 pm

ultimately it should look like this at whatever drop length needed

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 3, 2022 at 9:33 pm

That is excellent! Thank you @chedwin ! I guess I am off to buy some hardware tomorrow!

• tvor-ceasar

March 3, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Yessiree, we’re all on the same wavelength.

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 4, 2022 at 10:56 pm

I started working on the projector mount today. I basically just covered a painted piece of MDF with Sapele and Walnut (1/4″ scraps) I had laying around. I ended up using some Johnson Paste wax to seal it. I feel like this was a good compromise, is it really shouldn’t give me much Sheen. Although if I decided I don’t like it I’ll send it off and use General Finishes on it.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  123toid. Reason: Added photos
  • tvor-ceasar

March 4, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Nice! Almost too nice to be covered up by a projector. At least you’ll see the bottom side.

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 4, 2022 at 11:08 pm

Thanks @tvor-ceasar . That’s actually the bottom side. The top side is just MDF painted black. But I figured I didn’t care, since no one would see it. The wooden sides go past the MDF a little, so you really can’t see that black painted MDF at all.

• tvor-ceasar

March 4, 2022 at 11:20 pm

I was thinking that you only had to nicely finish the bottom, so the wavelengths are still in tune.😁

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 5, 2022 at 8:51 am

Haha! That is exactly right 🤣

Page 1 of 2