Home Forums Home Theater Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

• Creator
    Discussion

123toid
    Keymaster

Today I was able to pick up a JVC dila with only $150 original hours on it. Crazy thing is the guy threw in an extra lamp as well. In the lamp is an original JVC lamp in the original box unopened. He sold me everything for $400. He ended up selling his house and doesn’t have the media room anymore so he had no need for it. This thing is an absolute monster and such a beautiful picture. So it looks like I’m going to have to start building a screen. In the meantime, what do you guys think is the best way to mount this. I was originally thinking of mounting it from the ceiling with a ceiling mount. But the more I think about it the more I’m starting to wonder if I should build a drop-down cabinet from the ceiling that it resides in. Of course this would be open airflow on the sides and the back in front. Anyway I’m definitely interested to hear your ideas.

As for now I’ll show you some pictures as well as a comparison versus an old Epson projector. This thing is a monster!

Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

• Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

123toid updated 3 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 23 Replies
  • 123toid

Administrator
    March 6, 2022 at 11:32 pm

I have it temporarily mounted. I wanted to double check the height of the mount. I think it could go up a little higher, but this gives me a little flexibility on the height the screen will be hung. Now it’s time to take it down, cut off the excess rod and mount it with some heavier hardware. I know the 2x4s don’t look good, but they will eventually be covered up. In fact I believe the whole ceiling is going to end up being dropped down a little. I plan to add some rock sole at the top as sound deadening, then cover it with some cloth.

Jvc DILA DLA-RS46 for $400!

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 6, 2022 at 11:34 pm

I haven’t got a good chance to dial in all the colors, but so far I’m very impressed with the picture on this.

• tvor-ceasar

March 6, 2022 at 11:51 pm

Dat look. LOL!

Well on the way. I think you’ll be happier with that larger screen in that space. Plus it gives you new challenges with your audio designs.

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 6, 2022 at 11:54 pm

The funny thing is I screwed up as well. I what’s going off memory which way the joists went…I was wrong. So the design is going the opposite way I wanted it to. I think when I take it down to cut off the excess, I’m just going to cut some new 2x4s and rehang it the correct way.

• chedwin

March 8, 2022 at 5:55 pm

Always better to leave flexibility. If you set it on the lower end of where you think it will sit you can always shift the nuts up a few turns if needed at a later date but cant bring it lower if you cut the rods too short!

Josh Evans, Professional Live Sound Engineer, High End Commercial AV Install Technician
  • 123toid

Administrator
    March 9, 2022 at 1:45 am
  • tvor-ceasar

March 9, 2022 at 5:40 am

And if you’re worried about safety, put some cap nuts on the free ends.

• 123toid

Administrator
    March 11, 2022 at 3:32 am

I think you’re right. Next time I run into town I’ll pick up some cap nuts just for some added protection. Currently I just have the wires run on the ceiling. This is just a temporary setup as the equipment is eventually going to go to the rear of the room. When that occurs and then I’ll run the wiring through the ceiling. I’ll also put a permanent outlet up there. As of right now though, I’m happy with the outcome. I’m really looking forward to next week as I should receive my DIY fabric to make my own acoustically transparent projector screen.

Page 2 of 2