Home Forums DIY Speakers and Subwoofers My Build – Paul Carmody Speedsters – Hickory And Walnut

  • Creator
    Discussion
  • #11534

    phil-g
    Participant

    Here is the project I worked on while sheltering in place. 

    Lets take a look at the finished product then I’ll show you how it was done.

     I do my wood working outdoors and it was raining when I received the kit so I started by assembling the crossovers.


     Parts laid out and ready to begin!  I purchased the circuit boards because I thought it was a cleaner solution.  The kit came from Meniscus Audio and I upgraded the capacitors based on their recommendation.  After listening to the speakers, I can honestly say “I’m glad I did.”

    Clear weather – time to cut some wood!


    In my eagerness to get started, I didn’t take pictures of the table saw work.  I was cutting the biscuit slots when I remembered the camera. 


    From my previous build (DINAS) I learned the importance of keeping all the box components oriented in the manner the biscuit slots were cut and they will be assembled.  Dry fit looks good – Time for glue!


    Glued and Clamped! 


    I cut the front baffle oversize and used a trim bit in the router to get an exact fit.


    Using the Jasper jig for the speaker cutouts.  This didn’t go well (I botched it badly) and the baffles were noticeably different.  Unacceptable!  I threw them out and started over.  




    New baffle clamped in place.  Rounding over all edges with a 3/4″ round over bit.  The bit is new but it left some burn marks which were easy to sand out.  Important to always have a clamp on the baffle when repositioning the box so you can continue routing.


    Lots of sanding later and things are looking good!


    I should have cut the baffles before applying the finish but I really like the transformation that takes place when the finish is applied and I couldn’t resist!  I didn’t have enough hickory so I pieced together ash and walnut for the back.


    This time I’m making sure the baffles match.  I made a pattern out of 1/2″ MDF, secured the baffle to the pattern with foam tape and cut them with a pattern bit.  Same for the back.  I cut the pattern in half because it was too awkward to use on the back.  Make sure to wait for your router to completely stop before removing from a small diameter hole – I didn’t and the bit chewed up the port on one of the boxes and ruined the pattern.  It was not so bad the box was unusable but it did cause a moment of panic.

     


    Test fitting the drivers – ohhh they look nice!

    Crossover installed.  You can see where I caulked around the port tube.  This is the one the router chewed up and I felt it needed a little extra support.

    I’m listening to them now –  they sound fantastic!  Powered by PS Audio Sprout with a Sony CD player.