Home Forums DIY Speakers and Subwoofers $3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Inspiration Reply To: RE: $3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Inspiration

• elliottdesigns

January 18, 2022 at 7:48 pm

@arnout Measurement looking awesome! Although, it’s never good practice to do a single measurement, since you never sit in exactly the same place with a singular ear on your forehead 😂. There’s two good options for this:

1. Moving mic method (MMM), a spacial average using periodic pink noise whilst slowly moving your microphone around the listening space. Whilst it creates a great average with many, MANY measurement points, you also lose phase information and it’s typically smoothed out.

2. (My preference), taking multiple measurement sweeps throughout your listening position, the wider the area you measure, the more measurements you’ll want to take, also the wider the sweet spot becomes (a wider sweet spot also means it’ll be slightly less good overall, as with many things in engineering, it’s give and take). I’d say a minimum of 5 measurements is a reasonable amount.

The next step (for option 2), is to go into the “all SPL” tab and “time align” the curves, after which you use “average SPL”, to make sure each measurement is as close to one another in terms of SPl. After all of this you then use “Vector Average”, which takes an average of not only SPL, but taking into account phase information as well (this is very important), and finally apply appropriate filtering. When creating filters for room DSP I like to apply different levels of smoothing and check the result with psychoacoustic smoothing (since that’s we can actually hear) to see which gives the best result.

The psychoacoustic smoothing is probably my favourite filter, it “shows” what a system actually sounds like (in terms of frequency response), and so as long as we aren’t looking for room modes or anything else that might be hidden when we are trying to solve certain problems, I believe it should be used more widely! Anyways, I digress… Maybe take another measurement of the actual speaker so we can see how the drivers sum, otherwise, looks amazing! Maybe try that spacial/phase average whilst your at it too! It should help us see how the frequency response is over a given area.

P.s. MMM is an average of all the different responses at various positions, Vector averaging is meant to more closely approximate the frequency response at any given point within the space the measurements have been taken