AdministratorMay 29, 2019 at 10:56 pmPosted by: Master of none
I’m new to building speakers, but not to building. I’m looking to build some speakers for my college bound son. These will go in a dorm room with 3 guys, definitely not looking to make audiophile speakers. Something with good sound, good bass, and capable of handling some power. (remember 4 guys, college, they need to be able to play pretty loud for extended periods).
- I was thinking of a 2.1 system. I like the idea of using the Voxel sub -eithet the original or TOIDs slotted version.
- Now for the bookshelf. I’m looking for help here. I’d like to keep them fairly small, in the range 12x7x9. Something like parts express kits. Overnight sensation or c note.
- I could just order them, but would like to try to build them. I’m also curious to see what drivers and cabinet dimensions you prefer.
- Thoughts on somesomething like these? https://www.parts-express.com/passive-aggressive-mini-speaker-kit-pair–300-7148
- Amplifier? Lepai plate amp?
i think either the C-Notes or the Overnight Sensations would be a great idea paired with a Voxel. I of course, prefer my design 😉 Another idea would be the Dinas, I designed. Each speaker basically has a Voxel sub built in it. It’s total box size is about 12.5″ (box not counting tweeter on top), 7.5″ wide and 10″ deep. They would be a great fit for a college bound kid. At least in my opinion. Here is a video of Joe N Tell reviewing them. Having said that, I don’t think out of those 3 you could go wrong.
I did hear the Passive Aggressive’s at MWAF last year, but only as background music. So I never go to turn them up loud. They are a great design, but I think the others would give them a little more sound.